Monday 21 April 2008

Tutorial

Tutorial with Damian Chapman

How am I doing?
I discussed with Damian about three different alternatives of advertising and shopping bags.
1. Japanese pictures with modern colour images,

2. Japanese modern cartoon characters,

3. Japanese calligraphy and symbols such as family emblem.
I researched Japanese patterns, colours and so forth to get inspirations.
I tried to make Japanese oriented visual images for advertising and a shopping bag, but it was hard to express properly because Japan is somehow westernized. I did not know what Japanese images looked from the westerner’s point of view.
I also created Powerpoint slides for a presentation, and put all the information in each slide. It was not well organized.

Why am I doing this?
To understand the effective graphic design styles for a project.
To prepare for presentation.

What am I going to do?
As Damian recommended, I am going to recreate the PowerPoint slides.
An Important note:
1. Scope of Project: A big picture.
2. Focus of Project
3. Issues
4. Strategy
5. Project Ideas
6. Possible Visions

I created the following bags and advertising to express Japanese character's images, but after discussing with my tutor and group members, I realized that they were westernized Japanese characters.
I should not say that some of arts and designs in Japan are NOT original Japanese works. I need to think about how I can create original Japanese characters through inspirations.

No comments: